PHY641 - Spring 2010
309 Physics Building, 443-5978,
The following is a list of topics I would like to cover.
- Useful mathematics: quick review of vector calculus, divergence and Stoke's theorem. Helmholtz's theorem. Line and surface integrals. Delta
function. Coordinate systems.
- Statics. Coulomb's law. Electric field, path independence
and the potential. Gauss law
- Solutions of statics problems: uniqueness theorems, method
of images, Poisson's equation, separation of variables.
- Multipole expansion. Dipoles.
- Biot-Savart law, B-field, absence of monopoles, vector potential.
- Electric and magnetic materials: H and D.
- Electromagnetic induction. Faraday's law. Displacement current
- Maxwell's equations: differential and integral forms.
- Energy, Poynting vector. Vacuum solutions: EM waves. Boundary
- Lorentz force.
- Relativistic formulations: 4-vectors. Maxwell's equations in
relativistic form. The field strength tensor. Gauge invariance.
Mid term and solutions
Final exam - Thursday April 29 11:00-1:00 pm in class.
No class May 4.
This page maintained by Simon Catterall, last updated 6 January, 2010.